…is a saying attributed to Horace Greely who in 1865 encouraged youth to seek opportunity on America’s frontier. It is also a song sung by Michael W Smith who in 1990 encouraged youth to flee evil, often represented in the Bible as lying to or coming from the east. But for us, “Go West” is what we did to experience some of what’s happening in el Distrito Occidente (the Western District).
This was our first time visiting the district, which is comprised of the states of Jalisco, Colima, and parts of Michoacán. The drive there was certainly a beautiful one, but what put a smile on our faces was seeing the work being carried out by veteran missionaries Rich and Jenni DeMartino and Ernie and Sandra Peacock and their partners.
Restoration on the coast: our first stop was at the coastal community of Melaque. There, Ernie and Dave toured the Bible School Nuevas de Gran Gozo and were on hand for their graduation ceremonies. Ernie and Sandra hope to renovate the Bible school facilities and reinvigorate the program that seeks to catalyze ministry in this needy area.
Reconciliation in the north: our next visit was with national workers, Alberto and Ruth (second photo), who are working among the Huicholes of northern Jalisco. We had the opportunity to hear how they are using business as mission (BAM) ideas to draw near to a people who, in 2016 expelled all Christians, and how the Peacocks hope to further resource their efforts.
Rescue in the city center: we finalized our trip in Guadalajara where the DeMartinos’ ministry of compassion has been feeding hundreds since the start of the pandemic. There, we joined a team from Pittsfield, MA, to help distribute food, pray for the sick, and speak words of hope (third photo). Rich and Jenni look to purchase a permanent home for this ministry while they are also planting a church in Chapala.
Thanks for enabling us to “Go West” to encourage and support these efforts!
Note: this post is just a portion of what we share in our quarterly newsletter. If you’d like more information from the Godzwas or would like to print this update, take a look at the full PDF version of our quarterly newsletter or, better still, sign up to receive our newsletters direct to your inbox!
- Dave and Ernie Peacock praying for the graduates of “Nuevas de Gran Gozo” in Melaque, Jalisco
- Alberto and Ruth, workers among the Huicholes, in front of their ministry center, built with an innovative technique they’re teaching to locals as a BAM initiative
- Dave and Pastor Dave, from the Pittsfield team, speaking in downtown Guadalajara
Tags: Evangelism, Guadalajara, Huichol, Jalisco, Missions, Newsletter
- David Godzwa on Help We Never Knew We Needed: “Thanks, Mom! Your response is very encouraging. And, yes, Kaixin is always wanting to come along.” Feb 13, 16:07
- Kimberly Yaple on Help We Never Knew We Needed: “Kelly & Dave, You both are a blessing not only to those on the field but to family as well,…” Feb 11, 15:54
- Kim Yaple on Glass Shards: Walking Toward Maturity as Disciples and Missionaries: “Beautiful analogy Kelly. Mom Col. 1:3-14” Jul 12, 18:34
- Kimberly Yaple on Thankfulness in Transition: “I am thankful you arrived here safely and you are here in Erie! You are all a blessing. Love, Mom” Jul 14, 18:31
- David A. Yaple on Growing Into It: “I LIKE – Keep on Keeping us updated !!!!” Aug 19, 10:51